On the evening of December 16–17, 2011, Tropical Storm Sendong (international name Washi) caused widespread flash flooding in Northern Mindanao.
In Cagayan de Oro, hundreds living near the banks of the Cagayan de Oro River were killed, with hundreds still missing.
More than 2,000 were rescued, according to the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), and at least 20,000 people were staying in 10 evacuation centers in Cagayan de Oro.
Officials were also investigating reports that an entire village was swept away.
It was also possibly an old thriving port of the Srivijaya Empire with an overseas trading link to China, India and even to America.
In 1622, two Spanish Augustinian Recollect missionaries came in contact with the natives of Himologan and in 1626, Fray Agustín de San Pedro persuaded the chief of Himologan, Datu Salangsang, to transfer his settlement down the Cagayan River, to the present-day Gaston Park.
When Misamis gained the status of province in 1818, one of its four districts was the Partidos de Cagayan.
In 1871, the "Partidos" became a town and was made a permanent capital of Misamis.
Ceramics have been found in the area; Chinese probably having visited from the period of the Song to Ming dynasties.On February 27, 1872, Governor-General Carlos María de La Torre issued a decree declaring Cagayan the permanent capital of Segundo Distrito de Misamis.During this era, the name of the town was known as Cagayan de Misamis.The Americans won the war, and about forty years later, gave the Philippines its independence on July 4, 1946.The war years in Cagayan de Oro were prompted by the presence of the Americans in 1898.